Off The Record is a recurring feature here on the Drunkard that will marry two of my greatest interests; music and travel. Having a locals perspective when visiting a new locale is the difference between experiencing it through the lens of a tourist and of that of a native.
Off The Record gathers some of my favorite artists, asks them to reflect on their city of residence, and choose a handful of places they could not live without, be them bookstores, bars, restaurants or vistas.
Today we visit Nashville, TN with, former principal songwriter and vocalist with Clem Snide, Eef Barzelay. Clem Snide may have gone their separate ways, but Eef is currently playing with a new band, and putting out his next record under the sublimely simple Eef Barzelay. Straight from the horses mouth: “We’re shooting for an early 2008 release. In the meantime I am subsidizing my indie rock lifestyle by scoring movies. The first, “Rocket Science”, opens mid-August. Go see it!”
* * * * *
Eef’s top 5 favorite things about living in Nashville
1) Sausage, egg, and cheese on Texas toast at the Waffle House off I-40 on Charlotte and White Bridge (granted this can be had throughout the southeast but nevertheless).
2) The greek salad with grilled fish at Athens restaurant on 8th Ave south.
3) Sunday drives along the Natchez Trace capped off with a Bloody Mary at Noshville.
4) Grilling italian sausage in the backyard and then jamming with Ole Mossy Face.
5) Recording with Mark Nevers at Beech House Recording.
* * * * *
www.myspace.com/eefbarzelay ++ www.clemsnide.com ++ emusic
+ Download Eef Barzelay via eMusic’s 25 free MP3 no risk trial offer
+ Visit The Hype Machine for additional Clem Snide MP3s