About :: Aquarium Drunkard
Based in Los Angeles, Aquarium Drunkard is an eclectic audio blog featuring daily music reviews, interviews, features, mp3 samples and sessions. Originating in 2005, digging globally, the Drunkard bridges contemporary sounds with vintage garage, psych, folk, country, soul, funk, r&b and everything that falls in between.
Helmed by Justin Gage, the blog has since spun off Autumn Tone Records, the Aquarium Drunkard Presents series, the Lagniappe Sessions and the weekly, two hour, Aquarium Drunkard Show airing Fridays on SIRIUS/XMU (channel 35), Noon-2pm EST. Gage is a working music supervisor for film and music consultant. He authored the 2009 guide/travelogue Memphis And The Delta Blues Trail.
Noteworthy AD guest contributors include: Robyn Hitchcock, Jim James, Patterson Hood, Mark Kozelek, John Vanderslice, Akron/Family, Steve Earle, White Fence, Mikal Cronin, Gordon Gano, J. Tillman, The Antlers, Jason Isbell, Richard Swift, The Handsome Family, Daniel Hutchens, Frida Hyvönen, Drive-By Truckers, William Elliott Whitmore, The Broken West, Lucero, Horse Feathers, Rodriguez, Bowerbirds, Port O’brien, Princeton, Portugal The Man, Frankel, Roadside Graves, Josh Rouse, Throw Me The Statue, The Whigs, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Fruit Bats, James Jackson Toth, James Husband, Bear In Heaven, Japandroids, The Minus 5, Megafaun, King Tuff, White Hinterland, Wolf People, The Deadly Syndrome, Dean Wareham, Frog Eyes, Everest, Lotus Plaza, The Ruby Suns, The Jim Jones Revue, Chris Cohen, Sunset, Elf Power, Bobby Bare Jr., Breathe Owl Breathe, Ben Weaver, The Autumn Defense, Robert Ellis, Hacienda, John Grant, Wooden Wand, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Matthew E. White, The Amazing, Tashaki Miyaki, Night Beds and many more.
Interviews: Bill Fay, Mike Watt, Vic Chesnutt, Kris Kristofferson, Henry Rollins, Cody Chesnutt, No Age, Jody Stephens (Big Star), Lambchop, Richard Buckner, The Olivia Tremor Control, Jim White, Silver Jews, Matthew Sweet, The Hold Steady, Merle Haggard, Centro-Matic, Alejandro Escovedo, The National, The Felice Brothers, Shearwater, Howe Gelb, AA Bondy, Brendan Benson, The Low Anthem, Jay Farrar, Circulatory System, Condo Fucks, Jason Lytle, Akron/Family, The Moondoggies, Telekinesis, Megafaun, Phosphorescent, Charlie Louvin, Dan Auerbach, The Walkmen, Mikal Cronin, The Rosebuds, Horse Feathers, Mercyland, Blitzen Trapper, Kelly Hogan, DeVotchka, The Whigs, The Broken West, Quintron, Calexico, Hayden, Patterson Hood, Arcade Fire, Beach House, Portastatic, Born Ruffians, Animal Collective, The Antlers, Kelly Hogan, Foxygen, Mikael Jorgensen, Futurebirds, Lissie, The Love Language, Five Eight, Dale Murphy, Foxygen, Menomena, Corin Tucker, Destroyer, Lucinda Williams, Wooden Wand, Margo Guryan, The Growlers, Father John Misty, Chris Cohen, Hiss Golden Messenger, Chris Stamey, Angel Olsen and many more.
* Rolling Stone – Best of Rock 2008, Best Music Blogs
* L.A. Weekly – Voted L.A.’s Best Music Blog 2010
* L.A. Times – Navigating the Waves: A primer to Aquarium Drunkard’s WAVED OUT festival
* L.A. Times – 11 L.A. artists honor Paul McCartney’s ‘Ram’ – Aquarium Drunkard
* LA Weekly – Bedroom Confidential: New Crop of Boutique Record Labels in Town
* Yahoo! Music Picks – Aquarium Drunkard
* Detour Magazine – Meet & Greet: An Aquarium Drunkard
* LA.com – LA Music Blogs
* Flagpole – Aquarium Drunkard Returns to Athens To Host Athfest Event
* L.A. Times – Justin ‘Aquarium Drunkard’ Visits The Blues, And Lives To Write About It
* Guardian UK – Author Nick Hornby lists Aquarium Drunkard as favorite music blog
* LAist profiles Aquarium Drunkard founder, Justin Gage
* We Are Panel interview with Justin Gage, re: Autumn Tone/Aquarium Drunkard
* LA Record – WAVED OUT FEST @ THE ECHO + ECHOPLEX
* LA Weekly – Aquarium Drunkard’s inaugural WAVED OUT festival
* Ice Cream Man – WAVED OUT review and photo archives
* PASTE Magazine – Ears We Trust
* MTV OMA Awards – Best Music Blog
* 2012 LA Weekly Profile – A Cool, Weird Music Bar on the Internet
* VICE Magazine Interview: Justin Gage / Sidecar: Transmissions
The blog’s content changes as AD’s interests do. . .